When it comes to buying vs. renting the choice can be hard. It really depends on your personal finances and what your goals are. Here are some quick pros and cons to consider.
Renting/On post Pros
- No paying for your own maintenance
- Free yard care on post
- No monetary commitment when you PCS aside from deposits.
- Rental payments may increase when you renew lease
- Landlord approval needed for any
- No capitalization; your money
- Rental is temporary
- Excellent tax deductions for your mortgage on interest paid
- Mortgage payments could be fixed Decorate and make changes, without
- The value of your property may increase
- Your house will become a home, not a
temporary living situation; you are not at
the mercy of a landlord
- Rental income when you PCS
- May not sell immediately when you PCS
- Having renters can be good or bad
- All maintenance is on you
Talk to your family about which pros are most important to you!
*All opinions on this site are our own and do not constitute legal advice.